Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Types of bullying
Bullying is when someone repeatedly acts or says things to have power over another person. Bullies mainly use a combination of intimidation and humiliation to torment others. The following is some examples of bullying techniques:Funny how this example involves a lot of inferences that would occur in the workplace. And for the longest time, I held the belief that as we grew into adults that we became tolerant of each other's differences, strengths, and weakness, and learned to accept each other. It's actually happened. I've reconciled with several bullies from my past. But of course, then I'm reminded of Dubya. There's a bully who proves we have a lot of evolving left to do.
* Calling the victim names and stating the victim is useless at whatever they do
* Spreading gossip and rumours about him/her
* Threats of job loss and disciplinary action for unspecified reasons
* Constant negative criticism for unspecified allegations
* Taking the victim's possessions or taking control of the victim's work
* Demoting the victim
* Making the victim do what they do not want to do with a threat of violence or disciplinary action if they refuse
* Actually following through with a threat on one occasion to ensure the victim will comply with all future orders
* Cyberbullying through the use of various information technologies
But as such, it does really suck ass when people are bullied at work. No matter how much stress comes down the pipe, supervisors and such shouldn't take it out on their crews. Unfortunately, they still do, and make good people small.
It really does suck. Just saying.
neolithic pondered at 23:31
Comments: Post a Comment