<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" ><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12686247\x26blogName\x3dA+Golden+World\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://agoldenworld.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_CA\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://agoldenworld.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d968471568558905784', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Sunday, January 01, 2006
So this is 2006

Well, it's still not a milestone New Year, but meh. Along with birthdays, it's another sign to let us know that time marches on, and is another excuse to overindulge and drink. Now keeping in mind the notion of time moving on, I can remember (well, kinda) the New Years past, where going to a club and partying until the sun rose was the standard. Maybe age, maybe lack of funds in the film offseason, maybe the increasing distance between me and my friends from the past. Who knows really.

2005 was definitely a year for transition. At the start of the year that has now passed, things could not have been worse. Graduated from film school, unemployed, living in downtown Toronto, and fighting to get Employment Insurance from the government, who likes to take their sweet-ass time, Dawn and I wondered where our next meal would come from. Not only was it so incredibly difficult to get a job in film or television, it was equally difficult to get an ordinary job to boot.

By the time April hit, the plug fell out of the bottom, and Dawn and I did the unthinkable to survive. We moved back in with my parents, under the demand that I find some form of work immediately. Well, my lack of luck continued, and my only option was to work with one of my father's best friends. Oops. That was a big mistake. For the month this lasted, I endured more verbal abuse than my whole existence as a high school nerd/dork/geek/whatever other name you can think of. I've had jobs where I hated going in, but when I was frightened to show up, well, something had to be wrong there.

Then some terrible news. My father's cousin (which I think is a second cousin to me), Freddy, passed on due to a stroke. There still isn't a day I don't miss him. His nickname was "Fearless", and frankly, I think I get my crazy streak from him. Sad as it was, it led to the most incredible change. I found out I had family out here, WORKING IN FILM. Less than two months later, Dawn and I packed our belongings (where she'd whinge that I packed way too much, but meh) and crossed the country to Vancouver.

Since then, I've been able to make about 1/2 the days I need to be fully accepted into IATSE as a Lighting Technician, having worked on Smallville, Like Mike 2, The Dead Zone, Intelligence, John Tucker Must Die, Dungeon Seige, Stargate Atlantis, X-Men 3, Scary Movie 4, Supernatural, DaVinci's City Hall, and Killer Instinct.

Looking back, the change is unbelieveable. I am very thankful that Dawn has been with me every step of the way, and also thank the help of my parents, where we may disagree on a consistant basis, stood behind me and believed in me when I was in doubt.

Now, to see what 2006 brings...
neolithic pondered at 12:37
Comments: Post a Comment